Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What I learned from Freshman Year

I just got home from finishing my freshman year at Johnson and Wales University five days ago. It was an awesome experience, there were some harder parts than others but over all I loved it and can't wait to go back! I know this post isn't about fashion but I would like to share what I have learned with one year down. 

1. Talk to People. Strangers are just friends you haven't meet yet!
       I meet one of my best friends by just sitting next to her in the dinning hall one of the first couple days. It ended up at she lived in the same building as me and we started hanging out every weekend and now we are roommates for next year!

2. Discover things by yourself, don't be a follower.
       In the beginning of the year I did everything with my roommate. She is from Rhode Island so, she knew her way around and she was a little more vocal when talking to people. When I was with her I didn't have to do much. She always showed me around and was the first to talk to people. But, when she went home for the weekend, I was a little lost and didn't know what to do. I learned quickly that I was being a follower and got out of it fast! I was so much happier when I wasn't thinking about what she was doing or that I have to be with her at all times. I started doing things that I wanted to do instead of following her around like a little puppy.

3. Get Out of your Comfort Zone!
       From living in a little town with a routine of going to high school from eight to two and than having cheerleading practice everyday I was in this bubble that needed to be popped. I had this amazing person that lived right next to me that encouraged me to do things I have never thought of doing before. I decided to dye all my hair one color to become a brunette and I went to this paint rave called Life in Color. Once I did get out of my little bubble I had so much fun and loved every minute of it.

4. Take Time for Yourself.
       Being it was my first year and excited to be at college I said yes to every social event there was. But, after a while I found myself so tired. I learned that living with all your new friends you will see them everyday. You have to say no to some things and take time to relax by yourself.

5. Join Something, Anything!
       Going off of number four join a club or sorority or frat anything. Find your place at the school. I found this little fashion club and I love it. We just talked about different fashion trends, we went on shopping trips together and at the end of the year we held a fashion show for charity. Next year, I got on the executive board and I am the fashion show coordinator.

6. Leave Your Room.
        I found that I will go a couple days without leaving my dorm room with not even thinking, and I went insane (haha)! Go outside, get some get fresh air, whether you just go for a walk or go get something eat.

7. You Don't Need to be Friends with your Roommate!
       My roommate and I did everything together in the beginning of the year, like I said. But, when I say everything, like everything we even had classes together. I think in doing that we got sick of each other and we ended up stopped doing things together and even stopped talking to each other. Everything worked out though because when I did realized that I didn't want to be her friend, I hung out with people that I did want to be friends with. Now for next year I have three wonderful roommates that I will be happy with!

8. You will Get Spilled On.
       When you go out get use to drinks spilling on you. It will be very crowded and people don't mean to spill on you, it's almost always an accident. Don't get mad. One time I had this guy spill his whole drink all down my pants, I had to go the rest of the night with wet pants. But, the guy felt so bad and he apologized.

9. Walk Away if Your Uncomfortable!
        If you are going out please don't be afraid to walk away if you feel uncomfortable. I had this guy invite my friend and I back to his house because he lived off campus. We just meet this guy and found him a little creepy so we said, "No thank you" and walked away. Don't get pressured by a guy just because he is older or has his own place.

10. Do Your Homework.
         I learned that doing my homework really helped my overall grade. Somethings it helped me bump my grade from a C to a B or even a B to an A. If you do your work and listen in class your GPA will be just fine!


Here is a picture of my room

Here it is when I moved out :( So empty!!

I can't wait for next year and to create many more memories!

Thank you for letting me write about my first year of college

Hope you liked it!

-Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment

cookieassistant.com